PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of the day

Woody
11-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Hello folk!

I thought I'd start a little thread here , inspired by the "2 rules of success" thread posted here recently...

Hope this is OK , and even if it has little value in useful content , it does somehow encourage participation...

and I expect it will be reflective and deep sometimes and hilarious at others...

Look forward to reading your replies...

So I shall start it off with one of my favourite quotes.

" Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has."

Margaret Mead

FishyFolk
11-07-2016, 10:29 PM
"The sheep may decide that everyone should eat grass, but it will not matter if the wolves do not agree"
- Unknown

CheddarMan
12-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Definition of democracy......two foxes and a chicken voting on what's for dinner.

Woody
12-07-2016, 05:24 PM
“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing” – George Bernard Shaw

shepherd
12-07-2016, 07:35 PM
"im too drunk.. to taste this chicken" - Colonel Sanders

OakAshandThorn
12-07-2016, 08:12 PM
LOLOL Shepherd! :happy-clapping:

Here's mine:
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.”
~ Aldo Leopold

Ehecatl
13-07-2016, 08:48 AM
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" ~ Jimi Hendrix

Woody
13-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Awesome, I think this thread might stick around for a while...
Well done lads , some crackers on here!
[emoji106]

Humakt
13-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

It's easier to apologise than get permission.

Underachieve - it makes it easier for your children to become something better.

Woody
13-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

It's easier to apologise than get permission.

Underachieve - it makes it easier for your children to become something better.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ehecatl
13-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Humakt
13-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Whoever heard of a wormskin rug?

CheddarMan
13-07-2016, 04:25 PM
We don't need to do things better, we need to do better things.

Mark Shayler

Ehecatl
13-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Justin Hawkins once said "Sometimes, there's nothing more satisfying than a good bowel movement" (but with slightly different words). Sometimes, I have to agree with him.

Woody
14-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.

Groucho Marx

rik_uk3
14-07-2016, 10:17 AM
"I'm not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde

Woody
16-07-2016, 08:14 AM
"I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives."

~Billy Connolly

Bernie
18-07-2016, 04:04 PM
I've often thought this and been too afraid to say it. I'm getting older and I care less and less about whether people agree with me or not. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not. I guess I'll find out soon enough...

"If humans were any other animal we would've insisted on a cull by now." - me

CheddarMan
20-07-2016, 10:58 PM
I've often thought this and been too afraid to say it. I'm getting older and I care less and less about whether people agree with me or not. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not. I guess I'll find out soon enough...

It's definitely a bad thing I reckon. Just because we are all getting older it doesn't mean we should be less tolerant or less concerned about what others feel about us, if anything it should be the other way round. It goes the same with clothes, people say (not you I hasten to add) "I don't care what I look like, I dress for me" etc. Actually no they don't, we all dress for someone else on some level.

Humakt
21-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Oops! Wrong thread!

Woody
21-07-2016, 09:41 PM
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Bill Hicks

Bernie
22-07-2016, 04:46 AM
Sounds like Bill picked the wrong mushrooms. :D

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Humakt
22-07-2016, 08:29 AM
'Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.'

Yoda

Greenbear
22-07-2016, 04:04 PM
A rich man brusquely tells a poor man to step out of his way. "why?" asks the poor man. "Because I have much wealth, large lands and high status" replies the rich man. "How did you get such wealth, such large lands and such high status to feel you can brush me aside?" asks the poor man. "Because my ancestors fought for it" says the rich man. "Ok" says the poor man "I will fight you for it now"....

FishyFolk
22-07-2016, 04:16 PM
We are so few in this land, every fallen is a brother, a friend.
(Nordahl Grieg)

Ehecatl
23-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Woody
23-07-2016, 11:58 PM
"If you love life, don’t waste time,
for time is what life is made up of.”
~ Bruce Lee

CheddarMan
24-07-2016, 08:39 PM
If you like these little daily sayings, then have a think about downloading the Momentum app for Chrome (if you use Chrome). I have it, and every day it gives you a neat little motivational quote, an option to write a 'Main focus for the day', also create to-do lists, all with a stunning new picture as a backdrop for every day.

https://momentumdash.com/

luresalive
25-07-2016, 11:37 AM
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

rik_uk3
25-07-2016, 02:58 PM
"To do is to be" René Descartes

"To be is to do" Plato

"Do be do be do" Frank Sinatra

CheddarMan
25-07-2016, 06:27 PM
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Humans are made of meat too. Do you eat them?

rik_uk3
26-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Humans are made of meat too. Do you eat them?

I would if I was starving, cannibalism has happened throughout history. At the moment we have the biggest range of available food ever known...may not always be that way.

Woody
29-07-2016, 08:34 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160729/36c65e58573676b6eb4b791f78d694b9.jpg

Woody
02-08-2016, 12:47 PM
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity.
The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty."

Sir Winston Churchill

rik_uk3
02-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Talking of eating 'Long Pig'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Woody
10-08-2016, 05:56 PM
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Native American proverb

OakAshandThorn
10-08-2016, 09:05 PM
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke [of the axe] he is writing his signature on the face of the land." ~ Aldo Leopold

CheddarMan
11-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Do no harm.....but take no crap

Woody
13-08-2016, 12:25 AM
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke [of the axe] he is writing his signature on the face of the land." ~ Aldo Leopold
Nice...

Greenbear
15-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Talking of eating 'Long Pig'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "I'll have a doner kebab" ;)

Bernie
16-08-2016, 03:14 AM
Page 28 of Patrick Breen's diary, recording his observations in late February 1847, including "Mrs. Murphy said here yesterday that she thought she would commence on Milton and eat him. I do not think she has done so yet; it is distressing.

Such understatement, often seen in older writing. "It is distressing". I think we'd use a few more words these days. :o

Woody
17-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better... it's not.

The lorax ~ Dr. Seuss

FishyFolk
17-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Such understatement, often seen in older writing. "It is distressing". I think we'd use a few more words these days. :o

Personally I like the style of the old Norse/ Icelandic sagas. Many of them are family chronicles. But if nothing dramatic or differnet happened for a few years, only the daily trundle of everyday life, they wrote nothing of those years. But if something happened, like invading England, it was recorded in great detail. The reason was probably that for hundreds of years these stories where only vocal, and not written down. And those who knew them and told them saw it as a matter of honor to tell them "true", i.e just like they had heard the story themselves, word for word. If they made a mistake, they would be the laughing stock of their entire community.

Ayway the style was quite direct and brutal. "Torstein cleaved Sigurds head down to the shoulders. Sigurd was now dead." alternatively "Sigurd was now out of the saga".

But at the same time, they could include very advanced poetry, that we still have trouble understanding today, simply beouse we do not know the meaning of the words. That is we know what they
mean" but back then, in a poem, a word may have a different meaning. F.ex the word "seahorse" means seahorse. But in a poem it may be what is known as a "kenning" for "ship".