Thread: A Knife Review with a Difference - Helle Kvernstein

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

A Knife Review with a Difference - Helle Kvernstein

A Review of the Helle Kvernstein Knife.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Whoops! Not a great ad for Helle. Hope its just a one off. I like the look of their sharps.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdo330 View Post
    Whoops! Not a great ad for Helle. Hope its just a one off. I like the look of their sharps.
    Helle have been good in their response and service so far, we may do a follow-up video.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I have seen the exact same thing happen to another composite handle Helle knife once before. A customer brought one into a hunting-/outdoor store where I used to work.
    I believe it was a model Winner, but it may be a similar, now discontinued, model.
    Like the Kvernstein, this knife had a very thin tang, which broke where the the handle meets the front bolster. The costomer claimed that he had simply dropped the knife on a hard surface, there were no obvious signs of abuse on the blade or handle of the knife.
    I have actually actively been avoiding to buy Helle knives because of this.

Regards.

Jakob

EDIT 12/08 '12 Now thar I myself own and use several Helle knives; the Dokka, Temagami, Symfoni, Viking and Nyring - of which I, excepet from my carbon steel Temagami, have had no problems with. I must conclude that the problem with the Kvernstein must be due to the very heavy stone pommel - combined with a tang that should have been a lot thicker to support the extra weight. As to the broken knife the customer brought in; I still may stay away from the composite handled Helle knives, or I may get one - to see for myself.
    Last edited by JEEP; 16-08-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Oh dear, what a bummer! I have a couple of Helle knives and like them a lot but I don't use them much,maybe that's just as well..Think I'll stick with my Mora 510's.

woops!