Thread: hammock for a larger guy

Alone in the Wilderness

hammock for a larger guy

Hi, I'm just starting to get into bushcraft, and fancy a hammock. I inherited a Highlander Nomad hammock, but didn't check the spec. It's rated for just over 17 stone, and I'm closer to 18.5. I got it securely tied off, but when I got in my backside was scraping the ground, and the stitching came apart by the zip

I prefer the idea of sleeping flatter, rather than banana-like. I see dd hammocks are rated to 150kg, and I wanted to see if people can confirm that? I've also seen the snugpak hammocks, which state 175kg, but they look a little saggy I'm thinking of the dd camping model to try, as the price looks really good.

Thanks, Chris.
    Last edited by pxl; 14-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.

I have a camping hammock from DD and its never let me down and I'm just touching 19st.
    I would also recommend UKHammocks or Tenth Wonder.

Welcome to the forum Chris...firstly Im 17 st 4 and both my tenth wonder and DD frontline cope admirably well, i know blokes bigger than me that dont collapse to the floor in the same hammocks...secondly the reason your backside was on the deck could be the stretch of the hammock ropes as they are inclined to do when new....

and lastly could you please pop over to the intros thread and say hi to the members and whilst there have a peruse of the forum ettiquette...once again welcome to NB
    [

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks Johnnyboy & Sapper.

The hammock wasn't new when I got it, it's seen a fair few trips, but by a guy who's probably 3+ stone lighter than me. I'll check out UK Hammocks and Tenth Wonder. Thanks

Hi there Chris and welcome to the forum.

A few of us on the forum, including myself are a little heavier than we should be but this doesn't cause any problems when camping out in hammocks. The one that I use is the 1.8 metre wide TW Hornet Hammock which is ideal for a big lad like me !!. Most of the hammocks that TW sell are about 1.45 metre wide, but if you contact Neil at the company by P.M., I am sure that he will have some spare out back in his storeroom.

I have no affiliation to the company apart from being a satisfied customer who has used TW Hammocks several times in the past.

All the best

Neil